We start off the holiday weekend with a Saturday Silk, two triple stacks of 10 in the NW and SE. Lots of entertainment clues, most before MY time....Not a tough one, but I did have to check red-letter for my first guess at 9D. Oh well. 6 "Z"s, but no 59D - missing the "Q-U"
Let's go to the video tape ~!
1. Extraterrestrial factor in creating much of Earth's carbon-14 : COSMIC RAYS - first thoughts were SOLAR FLARE or COMET/METEOR something....
11. '90s TV toon therapist : KATZ - Dr. Katz - this was on Comedy Central, but I couldn't watch because of the annoying jittery animation, described here
15. "The Defense Never Rests" co-author : F. LEE BAILEY - I defer to others
16. You may bid on it : EBAY
17. Circulation aid : CEILING FAN - good answer, I just installed two.
18. Five-time Wimbledon winner : BORG - Bjorn, of Sweden
19. American Fur Company founder : ASTOR
20. Firenze field : CAMPO - hey, thanks to yesterday, this one was a gimme ~!
21. "__ to Canaan": Carole King hit : BEEN - tried "ROAD" to start
24. Harris trickster : BR'ER RABBIT - a contraction of "brother", he's a character of folklore with more here
27. Sin tax, e.g. : EXCISE
29. Take-charge type : DOer
30. __ Genevieve: Missouri county or its seat : STE
31. __-ovo-vegetarian : LACTO - a guess, and I surmise that this is a person who is OK with consuming milk and eggs
32. Cry of delight : YOWZAH - last word heard here (warning: lyrical content~!). Fun to sing and play; tough solo
34. Low life? : AMOEBAE - yes, a play on the plural, like I had before; this time, the Latin plural for our one-celled organisms
36. Remote drivers? : AA CELLS - AA batteries for one's TV remote - got this one with a smile - thinking about a similar answer in a puzzle of my own....
40. Attached, as some decals : SEWN ON - meh, but I guess if it read "patches" instead of decals, it'd be a gimme. I tried IRON ON to start
42. Certain elephant : ASIAN - funny, but I couldn't get Indian or African to fit....
43. Dander : IRE
46. Pro __ : RATA
47. Miss Hungary of 1936, familiarly : ZSA-ZSA - our cop-slapping drunk driver - here
48. Where Massenet's "Don Quichotte" premiered : MONTE CARLO
51. Grate : RASP
52. Obscured : HAZED
53. Edge : SIDLE
55. Desert antelope : ORYX - image
56. Insolvent bailout beneficiary : ZOMBIE BANK - today's learning moment for me; based on the way things are after the $700B bailout of '08, I would prefer my "cut" of $22,000.
61. Michelle Phillips was one in the '60s : MAMA -of the Mamas & Papas
62. Man in the street : AVERAGE JOE - I could do without this guy's 15mins of fame in the next presidential election....but a shout out to one of our new members~!
63. Hot times in 48-Across : ETES - not gonna say it....
64. Coconut-flavored cocktail : PI�A COLADA - gettin' caught in the rain....
1. Ozone-threatening compound : CFC - ChloroFluoroCarbon - here
2. Word of support : OLE~!!!
3. Half of dodici : SEI - Italian for 12 and 6 - it filled itself in via perps
4. Black garnets : MELANITES - image
5. Spoonbill's cousin : IBIS
6. "No way!" : CAN'T BE
7. Inflexibility : RIGOR
8. Served with a creamy cheese sauce : ALFREDO
9. Word of support : YEA - I had "PRO" to start, and it wasn't working for me - "FOR" was not much better; considered "BRA".
10. Lexicon abbr. : SYNonym
11. Word from the Turkish for "roasted meat" : KEBAB
12. Subj. of Cold War tests : A-BOMBS
13. Asphalt trap : TARPIT
14. Fallopian tube traveler : ZYGOTE - that is, coming down....
21. Coach of Nadia and Mary Lou : BELA - too 52A for me - I just know these were two Olympian gymnasts.
22. Physical, e.g. : EXAM
23. Danish shoe brand : ECCO
25. Martin's partner : ROWAN - Rowan & Martins' Laugh-in, which I saw in reruns as a kid, and where I learned about Arte Johnson - lots of famous people, including 47A
26. Iran's Mohammad Shah __ Pahlavi : REZA - um, OK, sure...
28. Dried out, with "up" : SOBERED - I "dried out" 2,365 days ago
32. Busybody : YENTA
33. 1962 chart topper whose title subject "doesn't do what everybody else does" : HE'S A REBEL - someone else might appreciate this more than I do
35. "Never Wave at __": 1952 film : A WAC - WAAAY before my time
37. "__ With a 'Z'": 1972 TV special : LIZA - again, WAAAY before my time - I WAGed it when the Z showed up
38. Miss : LASS
39. Breeze : SNAP - as in "that was a _"
41. Crew members : OARSMEN - SAILORS fit, too
43. Arrival announcement : I'M HOME
44. Find very funny : ROAR AT
45. Catalytic protein : ENZYME
47. Group of signs : ZODIAC - nailed it. How's your life now that there are 13 signs? I actually had to "switch" to Capricorn from Aquarius - it's OK, it's a more manly sign, anyway.
49. Gulf state : TEXAS
50. 47-Down member : LIBRA - my younger brother is one
54. Block brand : LEGO - loved this toy as a kid - still have it all in my closet
56. Reheat, in a way : ZAP - we say "Nuke" in my house
57. Duct opening? : OVI - I had VIA to start; any relation to the Zygote?
58. Grammy-winning Steely Dan album : AJA - I like old Steely Dan; the new stuff, not so much
59. Doze : NOD - NAP fit, too.
60. Mauna __ : KEA - OK, so did you go with LOA or KEA to start?