Theme: Dyslexic Endings - Four French phrases and a GB QB that end in VRE but are commonly pronounced RVE.
17A. Delight in living : JOIE DE VIVRE. Joy of Living
24A. Paris site of objets d'art : MUS�E DU LOUVRE. Palace of the Louvre
48A. Peppercorn-coated beef entr�e : STEAK AU POIVRE. Steak with Pepper
56A. Shrimp cocktail, e.g. : HORS D'OEUVRE. Apart from the Main Work
22A. With 50-Across, quarterback who started a record 297 consecutive games : BRETT and 50A. See 22-Across : FAVRE. Quarterback for Green Bay Packers (1992�2007)
Argyle here. That's my take on the theme; if you have a better idea, let's hear it. My French isn't all that good anyway. Couple of clunkers in the fill but overall, pretty good Tuesday.
1. Sounds of laughter : HAHAs
6. Show off, as one's stuff : STRUT
11. Leaky tire sound : SSS
14. Change with the times : ADAPT
15. West Indian sorcery : OBEAH. A search reveals we have had this word four times before, never on a Tuesday though.
16. Back muscle, for short : LAT. Latissimus Dorsi, usually referred to as LATS.
19. Stretch to remember : ERA
20. Aruba et al.: Abbr. : ISLs.. Clunk!
21. Wine-and-cassis ap�ritif : KIR. A French drink, how apropos.
28. Not for : AGAINST
30. Fading star : HAS-BEEN
31. __-Novo: Benin's capital : PORTO. I wish I could find this kind of map every time. The official language of Benin is French.
32. Peter Rabbit sibling : MOPSY. His sisters are Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail in the children's story by Beatrix Potter.
33. Play (with) : TOY
34. Slate-backing strips : LATHS. Clunk. Lath and plaster, yes.
36. Word with cozy or bag : TEA
39. Apple models : iMACs
41. They may be blown in games : LEADS
43. Hoops shot that misses everything : AIR BALL
46. Hatch, as a scheme : THINK UP
51. The whole shebang : ALL
52. Pre-splat cry : "OOPS!"
55. Saloon order : ALE. Never saw a western where they ordered an ale.
60. Knight's title : SIR
61. Justice Samuel : ALITO. N.Y.Times Magazine article. I'll have to read it later myself.
62. Speedy base runner's strategy : STEAL
63. Thing to run at a bar : TAB
64. Red Sea republic : YEMEN
65. Prefix with frost : PERMA. Frost that never leaves the ground, although the top thaws out for summer. We are probably losing perma-frost to global warming, too.
1. Pilgrim to Mecca : HAJI. Add another J if you want.
2. Bustles : ADOs
3. Desperation gridiron pass : HAIL MARY. Favre threw a few.
4. Jungle film costume : APE SUIT
5. CST part: Abbr. : STD. Central Standard Time.
6. Like old Russian states : SOVIET
7. Ford in a Beach Boys hit : T-BIRD. Sure, some more Fun, Fun, Fun.(2:21)
8. Give gas to : REV. Rev up that T-Bird.
9. Former Egypt-Syr. alliance : UAR. United Arab Republic.
10. Springsteen, to fans : THE BOSS
11. Place for an ace? : SLEEVE
12. "No Exit" dramatist : SARTRE. "No Exit" is a 1944 existentialist French play by Jean-Paul Sartre.
13. __ Island Ferry : STATEN. New York.
18. __ out: barely gets : EKEs
23. Red gemstone : RUBY
25. __-Cat: winter vehicle : SNO
26. "This could be a problem" : "UH-OH"
27. Swimmer's reps : LAPS
28. On target : APT
29. Bit of baby babble : GOO
32. The Rockies, e.g.: Abbr. : MTs.. I'm surprised they didn't use the Alps.
34. In __ land: loopy : LA LA. La is also a French article, mais oui.
35. First Amdt. defender : ACLU. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
36. Corporate acquisition : TAKEOVER
37. School URL ending : .EDU
38. Fanged serpent : ASP
39. Building beam : I-BAR
40. What some do while the sun shines? : MAKE HAY. Keeping busy, windhover?
41. Ullmann of "Autumn Sonata" : LIV. Image.
42. On the way : EN ROUTE
43. Equally speedy : AS FAST
44. Roma's land : ITALIA. Next to France.
45. Echoic effect : REVERB
46. Snitched about : TOLD ON
47. Port of Hawaii : HILO. Map.
49. Second of a word-processing pair : PASTE. I live by "cut and paste".
53. English carriage : PRAM
54. Ward of "CSI: NY" : SELA
57. Cheer for a toreador : �OL�!
58. Perimeter : RIM
59. Clairvoyance, briefly : ESP