Theme: 1963 Pete Seeger hit - Clip(1:55)
17A. FedEx, for one : SHIPPING SERVICE. It's always fun opening a FedEx box, like a mini-Christmas.
33A. What many a game of Battleship is played on : GRAPH PAPER. What graph paper looks like, in case you are unfamiliar with it.
45A. Stamp seller : POST OFFICE. If it fits, it ships�
65A. Manhattan's Minskoff, e.g. : BROADWAY THEATER. Now Showing, "The Lion King". Ironically, I don't believe the Minskoff has box seats.
71A. Spars in the ring, and features of the four longest puzzle answers : BOXES. Sparring is shorter than a bout so I think that qualifies them as little boxes.
Argyle here. Today we have Donna's delight after Jeff's jewel yesterday. It would have been nice if 17- and 45-Across weren't the same type of boxes but that's a nit. Two grid spanners on a Tuesday makes up for one little nit.
1. Give in to gravity : SAG. No comment.
4. Louvre Pyramid architect : I. M. PEI. Has anyone been there, in person?
9. Descendant : SCION. Comes from twig, sort of like a chip off the old block.
14. "Born in the __" : USA. Springsteen song.
15. Cleaning crew : MAIDS
16. Fencer's deflection : PARRY
20. Skating great Sonja : HENIE. Olympic Champion from way back.
21. King Abdullah subject : SAUDI
22. Took a load off : SAT
23. Tailor's measurement : INSEAM
25. Pauses that refresh : RESTS
27. Simple bed : COT
29. 1983 Woody Allen title role : "ZELIG". It sounds like an interesting story but it is still Woody Allen, if you know what I mean. I would like to hear from actual viewers though.
40. Trevi Fountain city : ROME. Three Coins in the Fountain(3:09), Connie Francis version.
41. Chaplin's last wife : OONA
42. Planet after Saturno : URANO. Spanish/Italian, Portuguese, too? And 70D. River, to Ricardo : RIO
43. Caspian Sea country : IRAN
44. Proverbial sinking ship deserters : RATS
47. Rainbow maker : PRISM. Image.
49. Schuss, e.g. : SKI
50. "... your cake and __" : EAT IT
54. Fla. coastal city : ST. PETE. Map
59. Response to a doctor : "AAH" / 38D. Drs. eliciting 59-Acrosses : ENTs. (ear, nose, and throat)
62. Prohibited acts : NO-NO's
64. Resignee of 1974 : NIXON. The release of the Pentagon Papers will bring his name in the news again. Which brings up 4D. Accuse of misconduct : IMPEACH
68. Frighten : ALARM
69. Jazzy Armstrong : LOUIS
72. Quick garage jobs : LUBES and 57D. Front-end alignment : TOE IN.
73. Abby's twin : ANN. The Dears.
1. Fish in a roll, perhaps : SUSHI
2. Wan : ASHEN
3. "Capital" profits : GAINS
5. __ tai : MAI
6. Frat jewelry items : PINS
7. Mystery award : EDGAR. The Edgar Allan Poe Awards (popularly called the Edgars), named after Edgar Allan Poe, are presented every year by the Mystery Writers of America.
8. Contentious subject : ISSUE
9. Cologne squirt : SPRITZ. From Yiddish, not surprisingly.
10. Cleveland cager, briefly : CAV
11. Bearded flower : IRIS
12. Black-and-white sea giant : ORCA. Welcome back, old friend.
13. "My eye!" in Minsk : "NYET!"
18. Lemon meringue, e.g. : PIE
19. Both Begleys : EDs. Sr. died when Jr. was 20 but I couldn't find a picture of them together.
24. Attend to a spill : MOP UP
26. Calligrapher's flourish : SERIF
28. Tropical tuber : TARO. A lot of alliteration there.
30. Actress Petty : LORI. Don't tell me you missed Tank Girl?
31. Apple computer : i-MAC
32. Biological inheritance : GENE
33. Trail grub : GORP. From "good old raisins and peanuts".
34. Emulate MGM's lion : ROAR
35. Against : ANTI
36. Out of date : PASS�
37. __ de deux : PAS. French for "Step of Two" and is what partnering is called in ballet.
39. Pieces that castle : ROOKS. Chess move.
46. Exercise program goal : FITNESS
48. "Melts in your mouth" candy : M AND M's
51. Pull : TOW
52. Totally : IN ALL
53. "What's it __?" : TO YOU
55. Former NBC anchor Lindstrom : PIA Image. Deceptive clue, she was a news anchorwoman for WNBC-TV Channel 4 News, a local station in NYC.
56. Spare : EXTRA
58. 2000s symbol of corporate financial misconduct : ENRON
59. Simple rhyme scheme : A B A B
60. Woody's son : ARLO
61. Fraud : HOAX
63. Bang, as one's toe : STUB
66. Exist : ARE
67. Move it : HIE. Bye.