Theme: Blunt-force Trauma - (Non Sequitur comic) I counted four synonyms surrounding a fifth in the middle of the squared ring. The unifier is standing alone in the NW corner and an extra standing in the SW corner.
1A. "Yipe!" (or an apt title for this puzzle?) : "OUCH!". The unifier.
17A. It's roughly between a batter's chest and knees : STRIKE ZONE
39A. Maynard G. Krebs of old TV, notably : BEATNIK
64A. Begin traveling : HIT THE ROAD
11D. Whence fruity drinks are ladled : PUNCH BOWL
34D. Pie-throwing comedy : SLAP STICK
58D. Animal hide : PELT. The extra.
Argyle here. Somewhat unusual Monday. Our first puzzle from Kelly but by no means her first puzzle. Read here. She constructed one ACPT tournament puzzle this year. I was struck by the imagery and the lack of abbreviations and yet still a doable Monday.
5. San Antonio shrine : ALAMO
10. "__, sesame!" : OPEN
14. Skin cream ingredient : ALOE
15. Popular plastic wrap : SARAN
16. Without a stitch on : NUDE
19. Terminates : ENDS
20. Ryan who played Granny on "The Beverly Hillbillies" : IRENE. Image.
21. Cornerstone abbr. : ESTD. Established.
22. "Shoo!" : "SCAT!"
23. Polynesian wrap : SARONG. Tutorial.
25. Quarter half : EIGHTH
27. Puts to work : USES
29. Within view : SEEABLE
32. Put in the "circular file" : TOSS
35. Recent: Pref. : NEO
37. Sing soothingly : CROON
38. Actor Holbrook : HAL. Image.
42. "Ease on Down the Road" musical, with "The" : WIZ. Clip(2:39).
43. Self-mover's rental : U-HAUL
45. 2,000 pounds : TON
46. __-ran: loser : ALSO
47. Visible means of __ : SUPPORT
50. Pesky little biter : GNAT
52. Mad magazine specialty : SATIRE
54. Play in the pool : SPLASH
58. Brad of "Ocean's Thirteen" : PITT. Image.
60. Attorney's matter : CASE
62. Expensive fur : SABLE
63. Arab ruler : EMIR
66. Doily material : LACE
67. Like neon and xenon : INERT
68. Crisscross pattern : GRID
69. Toddler : TYKE
70. Slalom curves : ESSES
71. Europe's highest active volcano : ETNA. Image.
1. Desert refuge : OASIS
2. Extreme : ULTRA
3. Gadget to remove apple centers : CORER
4. Abominable, as a crime : HEINOUS
5. Enzyme suffix : ASE
6. Stretch out in the recliner, say : LAZE. "Ahhh!"
7. Stood up : AROSE
8. "Praying" insect : MANTIS. No image.
9. Tense : ON EDGE
10. Poor movie rating : ONE STAR
12. Old Norse poetry collection : EDDA
13. Bird's home : NEST
18. Barbie counterparts : KENS
24. Kelly of song and dance : GENE. Does our constructor like to get her name into the puzzle? I wonder.
26. "What the __!" : HECK
28. Dead __ Scrolls : SEA. A collection of 972 texts from the Hebrew Bible and extra-biblical documents found between 1947 and 1956 at Khirbet Qumran on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea from which it derives its name.
30. Superman's Lane : LOIS
31. Automaker Ferrari : ENZO. Fast lane.
32. Therefore : THUS
33. Pearl Harbor's island : OAHU
36. Giant Mel of Cooperstown : OTT
39. Sponge up : BLOT
40. Yuletide cupful : NOG
41. Travelers' havens : INNS
44. Like a cornered cat : UP A TREE
46. Not yet captured : AT LARGE
48. "Hello" singer Lionel : RICHIE. Clip(4:04).
49. Lionels under the tree : TRAINS. Cute connection.
51. Church recess : APSE
53. __ Park, Colorado : ESTES
55. Scrub the launch : ABORT
56. Done in, as a dragon : SLAIN
57. Hopper of old gossip columns : HEDDA. Trivia: She had one child, actor William Hopper, best known for playing Paul Drake in the Perry Mason series.
59. "If __ make a suggestion ..." : I MAY
61. To be, in Bordeaux : �TRE. French.
65. Elevs. : HTS. Elevations/Heights.